Jul 16, 2013

start cooking again.. kinda..

With my new place, I now have the option of cooking.. I may not be cooking all the time, but I want the option to do it whenever my mood hits me.. And since the new place does not come with a gas stove, I had to buy an electric one.. and I did..


Bought myself a Philips electric stove.. cost me NT$1680.. my first time using such stove, so I'm sure it will be a while before I'm totally comfortable cooking with it.. and to actually cook, I need a pan.. and I choose a Tefal frying pan..

Unfortunately, I didn't read the fine prints.. and like they say, the devil is in the detail... this Tefal pan can't be used on an electric stove.. it has something to do with the pan being made out of a metal that doesn't conduct heat from the stove.. so this NT$800 pan will have to follow me back to MY on my next trip home..

In the end, I bought a cheap(er) stainless steel pot (NT$130) and a non-stick pan (NT$490).. think both will serve their purpose as well as those branded ones.. and for one thing, I won't think twice replacing them when the time comes...

As my small fridge doesn't have a proper freezer compartment, I will have to cook whatever fresh produce I bought immediately.. also I can't really cook all the things I want, cos this is a studio (apartment) and my bed is less than a meter away from the stove (separated by a small walkway)! I don't want to sleep with my pillows all smelling like fried chicken or have lingering smell of my dinner, however delicious it may have been..

Anyway, for the past few weeks, I've been cooking, of sort.. mostly for dinner.. either simple fried noodle, (Japanese) curry noodle or pancakes.. I think I am (over)compensating for my not-cooking these past 2 years.. I will have to modify and improvise some of my favorite MY/SG dishes many times before getting them right again.. Looking forward to this challenge.. :)

No comments: